Sunday, September 4, 2011

Summer Book


I don't normally experiment with new books during the summer. I read from a book collection by Philippa Gregory. The books make a great series, by the way, if you love historical fiction and the Tudor period.

However, that is NOT what this blog is about!

My mom let me borrow the book called "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" and I fell in love.

The book begins in London during the 1940s during World War II when writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a man on Guernsey Island.

After exchanging a few letters, Juliet learns about his charming book club, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and all it's unique characters. The story unravels as he explains to her how the club formed in an unprompted way, as a way to thwart the Nazi occupation of Guernsey Island.

The book, written as a collection of correspondence in letters, was a refreshing difference from what I usually read. It's fun to follow the letters!

SIDE NOTE: (While you read, I STRONGLY reccommend you keep a post-it note of all the characters and who they are. This is the only complaint I have about the book. Too many characters are introduced too soon.)

Anyways, the book is rich in history about the Nazi occupation of the island. First-person accounts of fictional events pulled me into their lives on the island. Basically, the reader feels like they are Juliet. It's super cool.

So, if you're like me, and you like books about books, than this book is the book for you.

Here is a link to the website.
http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/guernsey/

The book is $8 on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment