Tuesday, February 14, 2012

St. Valentine's Day poems

Steven

Who is tall
Who makes me happiest, like stepping into warm jeans, fresh from the dryer
Who couldn't sing a note until sophomore year
Who is my biggest strength and vice
Who puts my life into perspective, like a long talk with my mom
Whose clothes look way too baggy on me to look cute
Who is my half a century
Who likes electric guitar and when I wear lipstick
Who fixed my heart
Whose handwriting is the best an engineer's will ever get
Who is four years, 549 miles, two songs 
Who is mine


Where I grew up

Lying flat
on our backs staring at my ceiling satisfied
us more

than anything. In my high school bedroom
listening to Say Anything
thinking we owned the town and talking about how


sweaty your hands were. Sounds like our love
story. Football towns
in the Upper Peninsula weren't ready


for our forces. Nowhere
provided the alternate
paths we craved.


Until I grew up,
I didn't realize how much cold
air I craved or how


fast I forgot my sister's voice
and why calling Kalamazoo "home" caused my parents
to correct me. When I grew up,


we were back on our backs
exhausted with the burdens of growing up
that held us back.

No comments:

Post a Comment